Friday, September 12, 2008

Weekly Summary

Things have changed quite a bit since last week, and one risky play has wiped out my profits for the entire year:


The question I ask myself when a deal goes south like this is: would I do it again? And the answer: probably so. I knew when I got into it that it was a hard-way bet and I was bucking the market ... and if things had worked out differently, I'd have cashed out nicely. As it stands, I have a ghost of a chance that it may recover later this year, and another tax write-off if it doesn't. Way it goes, sometimes.

On the bright side, if I played it safe and bought into an index fund, I'd probably be in the same shape, almost to the penny: the DOW, the S&P 500, and the NASDAQ composite are all down about 15% for the year - so what's the difference?

No comments: